(nur’ə-jěn’ĭ-sĭs, nyur’-) n.
Formation of nervous tissue.
As recently as 10 years ago, scientists and medical professionals thought it was impossible for human beings to grow new nerve cells. Research from institutions including UC Berkeley, UC San Diego and UCLA are showing that good ol’ sleep helps promote a healthy amount of neurogenesis. This includes areas like the “hippocampus” which are essential for memory and learning.
Royan Kamyar, M.D., MBA is founder and CEO of Owaves
- Guzman-Marin, Ruben, et al. Sleep Deprivation Suppresses Neurogenesis in the Adult Hippocampus of Rats. European Journal of Neuroscience. Volume 22, Issue 8, pages 2111-2116, October, 2005.
- Hairston, Ilana, et al. Sleep Restriction Suppresses Neurogenesis Induced by Hippocampus-Dependent Learning. Journal of Neurophysiology. 94:4224-4233, 2005; doi: 10.1152/jn. 00218.2005.
- Lledo, Pierre-Marie, et al. Adult Neurogenesis and Functional Plasticity in Neuronal Circuits. Nature Reviews, Neuroscience. Volume 7, pages 179-193, March 2006.
- Mirescu, C, et al. Sleep Deprivation Inhibits Adult Neurogenesis in the Hippocampus by Elevating Glucocorticoids. PNAS; Volume 103, number 50, 19170-19175, December, 2006.
- Meerlo, P, et al. New Neurons in the Adult Brain: the Role of Sleep and Consequences of Sleep Loss. 13(3):187-94, 2009.
- Mueller, AD, et al. Inhibition of Hippocampal Neurogenesis by Sleep Deprivation is Independent of Circadian Disruption and Melatonin Suppression. 193:170-181, October 2011.
- Sportiche, N, et al. Sustained Sleep Fragmentation Results in Delayed Changes in Hippocampal-Dependent Cognitive Function Associated with Reduced Dentate Gyrus Neurogenesis. Neuroscience. 170(1):247-58, September, 2010.
- Taki, Y, et al. Sleep Duration During Weekdays Affects Hippocampal Gray Matter Volume in Healthy Children. Neuroimage. 60(1):471-5; doi: 10.1016, March 2012.
Owaves 101 is a blog series showcasing tips for work-life balance from fitness experts and successful professionals. Olympians, Ironmen, inspiring yoga teachers, physicians, and clinical dietitians, among others collaborate and share ideas in a common mission of leading healthier, fuller and more balanced lives.
Learn how uber athletes and hard-working professionals manage work-life balance and plan their days. Gain insight and tips on how to elevate your “O”. To get involved, email:email@example.com and to follow our Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter feeds.
Owaves is the World’s First Wellness Planner! Plan meals, sleep and exercise into your day. This day planner for health is FREE for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch: Download NOW!