Day in the Life:
Tom Brady’s Daily Routine (during the Offseason):
- 530AM – Wake Up & Hit the Gym
- 8AM – Breakfast w/ wife Gisele and two kids, Vivian and Benjamin
- 10AM – Beach time
- 11AM – Scheduled Nap
- 12PM – Lunch
- 1PM – Surf and Workout
- 4PM – Massage and Rehab
- 6PM – Dinner w/ Family
- 7PM – Review films, strategy w/ coach, charity work
- 730PM – Time w/ Family, Read bedtime stories
- 830PM – Lights out and Sleep
Key to structuring Tom Brady’s daily routine is Alex Guerrero, a 49-year-old California native with a master’s degree in traditional Chinese medicine. Alex met Brady through his previous client, Willie McGinest, the 3X Super Bowl champion, 2X Pro Bowl linebacker and New England Patriots Hall of Famer, whom he guided successfully to a final tally of 15 NFL seasons.
Not only does Guerrero perform manual massages before and after team practices for Brady — with special attention to Brady’s right arm — he coaches Brady on proper sleep hygiene, meditation, brain-training exercises and nutrition. Tom comments on how his approach to offseason workouts has matured with age:
So in the offseason, I do, I try to do a lot of the things I do in the season. I always believe that if you want to be good at what your job is—my job is being a quarterback—that’s what you have to do. I don’t think that being a quarterback means that you go in and see how much weight you can lift all the time. I would say that was very different when I was younger. Because when I was younger, I would go in there and I would squat, I would bench, and then I would be sore all the time. So much of what I do now is maintaining my strength, maintaining my conditioning, but also keeping my muscles I would say soft and pliable. When you’re 38, you gotta think a little smarter than you did when you were younger. It’s been evolutionary, and it’s been a lot of fun to commit in the offseason to the same things I’m doing in the season, in order to maintain a high level of play.
I found my combine shirt from 17 years ago and it got me thinking. This is what they said about me then….. Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily As @edelman11 always reminds me … "You can prove em right or you can prove em wrong!" Good luck to all of you this weekend!!
Another key figure in the Brady household is their favorite personal chef Allen Campbell. Student of renowned leader in plant-based nutrition, T. Colin Campbell, Allen helps Tom and Giselle reach a meal plan that is 80% plant-based, with a focus on veggies and whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa and beans. The other 20% of their diet focuses on lean meats like grass-fed organic steak, chicken, wild salmon and duck.
A typical breakfast for Tom may consist of a protein shake with kale, blueberries, bananas, nuts and seeds. They rule out white sugar, dairy and caffeine — indeed Brady claims never to have had a sip of coffee. He told Simone Biles in a recent Super Bowl interview that his favorite cheat food is a hamburger, she confessed hers was pizza. Another favorite “cheat” of Tom’s is avocado ice cream.
Owaves 101 is a blog series showcasing tips for work-life balance from fitness experts and successful professionals. Olympians, Ironmen, inspiring yoga teachers, physicians, and clinical dietitians, among others collaborate and share ideas in a common mission of leading healthier, fuller and more balanced lives.
Learn how uber athletes and hard-working professionals manage work-life balance and plan their days. Gain insight and tips on how to elevate your “O”. To get involved, email:email@example.com and to follow our Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter feeds.
Owaves is the World’s First Wellness Planner! Plan meals, sleep and exercise into your day. This day planner for health is FREE for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch: Download NOW!