Our Frequently Asked Questions
What are Activity Categories and their Meanings?
For the current 8 activities we offer, we recommend that you interpret the activities however you would like! For some guidance, some of our users interpret the activities in the following way:
- Red: spending time with loved ones
- Orange: any form of exercise, or activity that requires physical effort
- Yellow: activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result
- Green: meal time, including a full meal and snacks
- Dark Blue: the time that you sleep
- Light Blue: any time you partake in an activity that helps you relax, which could include meditation, yoga, and gardening
- Purple: activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose
- Pink: an activity that does not fit into the other categories – some use this for transportation
Can I use Owaves as a 24hr clock?
After opening the app, double tap on the center of the O and make sure you are on the Today screen. From Today there are two options for seeing the current time.
1. An analog clock will show a triangle with a line attached to it on the current time. This is called our current time indicator.
2. If you tap the center of the O once, a photo will fill the center of the O and the current digital time will show at the bottom of the O.
How do I use expert routines?
1. Tap the “+” button.
2. Tap on an Expert Routine of your choice.
3. Tap the turquoise button in the top right corner.
4. Enter your password for your Apple ID – this allows you to install the routine.
5. Tap “Confirm”.
6. Tap “OK”.
7. Tap “Settings”.
8. Tap the days of the week you would like this routine to appear – the circles at the bottom will darken after you tap them.
9. Tap the checkmark icon in the top right corner.
10. Tap “Back” in the top left corner.
11. Tap the “+” button.
12. Now your Expert Routine is set!
Can I change the Settings for expert routines?
In the Owaves app, tap on the hamburger menu (the three horizontal lines) in the top left corner.
1.Tap on “Routines.”
2. Tap on a routine that you would like to edit or delete under “My Routines.”
3. To delete a routine, tap the “garbage can” icon and then the “Delete” button.
4. To add your routine to a day of the week, tap on a day you would like to add the routine to, then tap the “check mark” icon.”
How do I use Owaves as an alarm clock?
You can set an alarm for waking up by pressing the “bell icon” for the first morning activity.
Can I put notes in my routine?
Yes, you can add notes and alerts for each activity. Simply tap it once to bring up the Notes View. Add text to the “Add a note.” line, and press the bell icon for an alert at the start time.
Can I sync Owaves with other calendars I use?
We are actively working on integrating 3rd party calendars (like Microsoft Outlook, Google Calendar and Apple Calendar); and hope to have a working version out early next year. Please let us know if you’d like us to include you in our email newsletter for updates!
How do I apply a routine to other days?
1. On the “Today” screen, tap the “star” icon.
2. Under “Repeat Every:” at the bottom of your screen, tap on the days you want your routine to repeat.
3. Add a title to this routine by tapping on the “pencil” icon and naming your routine.
4. Tap the “checkmark” icon in the top right corner when you are finished.
5. This will save the routine, that you created so you can use it again in the future.
6. To apply routines to your days, please tap the icon in the top left corner of your “Today” screen.
7. Tap “Routines.”
8. Under “My Routines” you will see the routines that you have installed or created.
How do I edit my day?
1. Open the app.
2. Double tap anywhere on the screen, this will take you to the Today screen.
3. Tap the “pencil” icon to edit your day.
4. Press on an activity button with one finger – this will cause the round button to become larger
a. While keeping your finger on the button, drag it over to the O
i. Activities will appear on your O in 1 hour increments.
5. If you would like to change the duration of your activity, press on the edge of the activity you would like to move with one finger. While keeping your finger on that edge, drag the activity either clockwise or counterclockwise to cover the amount of time you would like. Time duration can be adjusted in 15 minute increments.
Note: while you are increasing or decreasing the amount of time for an activity, the inner portion of your O will be highlighted – this lets you know that you are editing that specific activity.
6. To access other portions of your day, press and drag either the inner or outer portion of the O – this will rotate the O so you can fill it with more activities.
7. Continue adding activities to your day until it is completely filled.
8. Once you completed filling activities in your day, tap the “checkmark” icon.
Is there an Owaves widget I can use?
An Owaves widget would allow you to the day view of your current O on the lock screen. We don’t currently have that feature, but we are considering it for the future.
If you would like to see your O on the locked screen, an option would be saving your routine as an image and uploading it to your Lock Screen Wallpaper as a photo. To do that, use the following steps:
1. Press “Share” icon in top right corner of Day View.
2. Select “Save Image.”
3. Go to your Photos App on the iPhone.
4. Select your O.
5. Select the “Share” icon from the bottom left corner of the tool bar.
6. Choose “Use as Wallpaper.”
7. Press “Set” and “Set Both.”
How do I change the length of activity segments?
Make sure you are first in “edit mode” in order to edit your day. Please follow the instructions below to get into “edit mode” and change the length of your activity segments:
1. First double tap within the app to go to the Today screen.
2. Tap the “pencil icon” in the bottom right corner to edit your day.
3. Tap on an activity that is already on your O, or select a new activity and drag it onto your O.
4. Press on the white edge of the activity piece that you wish to edit, or change the length of, then drag it to cover the duration of time you would like. You can increase or decrease the time in 15 minute increments.
How do I change the photo used in my routine?
1. Create your own routine.
2. Press on the photo in the center of your routine.
3. Tap “Choose existing photo.”
4. Tap “Ok” so you can retrieve photos from your albums.
5. Tap on the photo you would like to use.
6. Center on the part of the photo you would like to use.
7. Tap “Use.”
How do I change the photo in an expert routine?
1. On your O, tap on an activity – this will open up a note.
2. Tap on the photo in the bottom left corner of the note.
3. Tap “Clear photo.”
4. Tap on the “image” icon, the one that looks like a photo with mountains.
5. Choose a photo from your album.
6. Crop your photo.
7. Tap “Use.”
8. This will set your photo for that activity.
Instead of using a photo from your album, you could also take a photo from your device. At #4, instead of tapping the image icon, tap on the “camera” icon and the photo you take will fill the center of your O.
How can I get sound to work with my notifications?
In order to have a noise associated with the app, you will need the following:
1. First, make sure your notification settings are set to “Allow”. When you first install the Owaves app, it will ask you whether we can send you notifications. Please tap the “Allow” button in order to receive notifications.
2. If you create your own day, in order to have a noise associated with each activity, you will have to do the following (please see the attachment as well):
a. In the app, tap on the “pencil” icon
b. Tap on an activity on your O that you created
c. Tap the “bell” icon until it is filled in
d. Tap outside of the note to close it
e. Tap on the “checkmark” icon
Note: you must tap on the “bell” icon of each activity you would like to have an associated noise.
Note: If you would like these push notifications to continue each day, set this routine to
repeat throughout your week by tapping on the “star” icon and applying it to the days of the
week you would like this routine to appear. This way, the push notifications you set will carry
through your week.
3. If you install an Expert Routine, each activity within the routine is set to have a notification and noise when it starts. To install an Expert Routine, tap on the “+” icon and choose from a routine.
Why is the sun at the top of the O?
Good question! We intentionally place sunrise on top of the clock to nudge users to think of sunrise as the beginning of day. We do this because Owaves is largely inspired by circadian biology, and nationwide there is an epidemic of circadian rhythm disorders where people don’t synchronize their sleep/wake patterns with sunrise and sunset.
Apple Health Sync
Follow the instructions below to sync your Apple Health and view your Sleep and Exercise within the app:
1. Tap on the “hamburger icon” in the top right corner of the “Today” screen in the app.
2. Next to “Health” slide the toggle to the right until it becomes green.
3. Choose which health categories you would like to be synced.
a. You could choose “Turn all Categories On” or choose from “Sleep analysis”, “Steps”, and “Workouts”
4. Tap “Allow” in the top right corner.
5. Tap on “Stats.”
a. This will take you to the “Stats” screen and show you your progress throughout your day
Cloud sync, or the ability to sync Owaves between your devices, is not currently available, but is something we are working on. If you would like to be updated on when this and other features will be available, the best way to find out would be through our newsletter or one of our social media channels.
Circadian Biology and Clock Explanation
We intentionally place sunrise on top of the clock to get users to think of sunrise as the beginning of the day. We do this because Owaves is inspired by circadian biology and nationwide there is an epidemic of circadian rhythm disorders where people don’t synchronize their sleep and wake patterns with sunrise and sunset times.
We’re coming out with a feature called “Create-a-Button”, and hope to have it out soon. This feature will allow you to choose from a set of new designed icons, and will allow you to customize their titles. Some of them could include: transportation, studying, and more.
How do I save a routine I made?
You can save new routines by using the “Star” button in the bottom tool bar. Once you’re on the “Save Routine” page, use the “Checkmark” button to save the new routine. Pressing the “+” button, and then pressing on the “O” will add a saved routine to your current day. To save a routine for future use, press the “star” button.
How do I rename a routine?
To change the title of a routine, please go to Menu (triple lines in top L corner) > Routines > Select the routine to re-name > press the pencil icon > Re-name the routine.
Is Owaves hiring?
Thank you for your interest in Owaves! We’re always accepting applications. If you contact us and send in your resume with a link to your linkdIn profile we will let you know if something opens up!
Will there ever be an android version of Owaves?
We have plans on developing Owaves for Android in the future. We’d love to invite you to be a part of our email list to be the first to find out when our Android version of the app would be available. If this is something you’d be interested in, please feel free to let us know by signing up for our Android Beta program here! Or, if you would like, you could find out by following our social media channels.